[Sunhelp] Calling all SCSI experts

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Wed Sep 20 13:37:41 CDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 03:43:39PM +0100, Robert.Cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk wrote:

| Now I figure that I've not got enough SCSI LUN's (the Sun disk boxes that
| they're in have switchable
| LUN's that go from 0..7, and 0 is the controller) to put all the disks on.

You're thinking SCSI IDs, not LUNs.

| I seem to remember that SCSI has the concept of a 'subLUN' (not the real name,
| which I can't remember),

The real name is LUN.

| so if I've got a box containing four disks, then these disks can either be, for
| example, LUNs 1,2,3,4 or
| 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4. This would give me c0t2d1, c0t2d2, c0t2d3 and c0t2d4 for
| the disk ids in Solaris.
|
| Any idea if this is correct, or am I suffering from wishful thinking - again?

It's mostly correct (except for the names), but you're still suffering
from wishful thinking.  I've never seen a hard drive that let you
address it by LUN rather than just scsi ID.  LUNs are normally used
for things like CD changers - one drive and one SCSI ID, but by
changing the LUN you can cause it to change CD's.

So, you're limited to 7 drives, unless you buy another SCSI card or
some sort of RAID controller that will make several drives look like
one.  Even seven drives can be a pain (especially if you've gone one
per case) and so I'd suggest just ditching the 1gb drives and getting
a single 9gb instead.  If you must hook up 7 drives, I suggest getting
one case that can hold 5 drives (plus two internal) rather than 5
cases - having 5 external cases is just asking for SCSI problems.

| This message is confidential.  It may also be privileged or
| protected by other legal rules.  It does not constitute an
| offer or acceptance of an offer, nor shall it form any part

Gawd.  How excessive ...

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com
yipyipyipyipyipyipyipyipyip <bang!> NO TERRIER