[Sunhelp] SunRay's

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at sweden.sun.com
Thu Sep 14 09:11:22 CDT 2000

I really like those devices as well, they have been quite succesful,
i have one on my desk which works great ;)

There are btw new members of the Sun Ray family, Sun Ray 100 and 150,
where the unit is built in into the monitor, quite nice :)

> THEREFORE, when installing this thing:
>
> a) if you're going to install it, if you can avoid putting it on a
> network with another DHCP server, it's generally a good idea.

Its absoluteley, very, TOTALLY unsupported to place Sun Rays on
something else than a private network, and to do so is a very good
way to run into trouble.

Basicly you can look on the ethernet between the Sun Rays and its server
as a sort of video/mouse/keyboard cable, you dont want other machines
in the network, it might cause even bigger trouble with future
releases of Sun Ray.

> b) if you can't avoid it, or even if you can avoid it, you should get
> into the initialization script (in /etc/init.d), and make sure you make
> an entry for -i (interface) and the interface you want in.dhcpd to
> listen on, thus saving yourself pissed off network engineers, angry
> bosses, whining NT users, etc.
>
> Aside from that, the Ray's ROCK.  Hope this little tidbit helped.
> Haven't run this accross bugtraq, as it's really more of a configuration
> problem, than it is a security hole.  Nonetheless, be careful.

Another reason why the Private Sun Ray network shall be Private, if you
follow the guidelines in the Sun Ray Installation manual you will avoid
most traps.

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */