[Sunhelp] HELP!! sendmail

Ravi Katti ravikatti at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 14 03:48:08 CDT 2000

Hi All,

Pls help me solve this riddle.

Platform: OS - solaris 2.6, sendmail 8.8.8, H/W - E420R

Problem:  We are not running DNS but making use of resolv.conf for DNS
servers. Moreover ours is not a valid DOMAINNAME.We have been using
sendmail/smtp to send emails to the outside world, but at times the mail is
aliased back to the email g/w (prod01) machine as if the recepient is a
local user on prod01.
All five other (E420R) servers have resolvers but the mail relay is only
one. and as such the mails are relayed via the email gateway.

An eg. foll mail is sent from a server(prod09) which is talking to mail
gateway(prod01)

prod09:/home/build> sendmail -v ravikatti at xyz.com
ravikatti... aliased to ravikatti at prod01.

Now why should the email be aliased to an user on prod01?

Sorry for the long email but this was for clarity.

Thanks a lot in advance to all the GURU's.