Subject: RE: [Sunhelp] Re: Backup help!

Kalusniak, Jeff jkalusniak at goliathfalls.com
Wed Sep 13 09:28:46 CDT 2000

Robert -

I use rsync a lot to keep two (or more) filesystems in sync.  It is
not a standard solaris command, but is available all over for Solaris.

You can rsync directly from fs to fs.  For example, I'll use

rsync -aq --delete --rsh=ssh /some/local/dir/main-dir  SVR2:/some/remote/dir

This will sync over all updates to files, remove files on the remote side
that no longer reside on the local side, do it all over ssh, is quiet, and
maintains all the good stuff (file perms, dates, etc).  Change the q to v
in the -aq option if you want to see the output.

Yes, you can use the filesystem while this operates.  In fact, I will sync
certain filesystems every 1 or 2 hours just to keep them "relatively
current"
for things such as reporting when you don't need EXACT real-time, for batch
processing, and for backing up.

Jeff Kalusniak
jkalusniak at goliathfalls.com
kalooz at core.com