[Sunhelp] Re: Backup help!

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Sep 13 06:00:09 CDT 2000

Of course, NOT. You can get it from www.sunfreeware.com (IIRC)

> Can you give me an example rsync command such as:
> /usr/sbin/rsync -x /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0

It's filesystem based.
I'm using

	rsync -av --delete frompath topath

with frompath being a local path or a remote one (machine:/path)

> A man page snip would be great.

About 20 pages. I'm including the first one:

User Commands                                            rsync(1)

NAME
     rsync - faster, flexible replacement for rcp

SYNOPSIS
     rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... [USER@]HOST:DEST

     rsync [OPTION]... [USER@]HOST:SRC DEST

     rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... DEST

     rsync [OPTION]... [USER@]HOST::SRC [DEST]

     rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... [USER@]HOST::DEST

     rsync [OPTION]... rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/SRC [DEST]

DESCRIPTION
     rsync is a program that behaves in much the  same  way  that
     rcp  does,  but  has  many  more  options and uses the rsync
     remote-update protocol to  greatly  speedup  file  transfers
     when the destination file already exists.

     The rsync remote-update protocol allows  rsync  to  transfer
     just  the  differences  between two sets of files across the
     network link, using an efficient  checksum-search  algorithm
     described  in  the  technical  report  that accompanies this
     package.

     Some of the additional features of rsync are:

     o    support for copying links, devices, owners, groups  and
          permissions

     o    exclude and exclude-from options similar to GNU tar

     o    a CVS exclude mode for ignoring the same files that CVS
          would ignore

     o    can use any transparent remote shell, including rsh  or
          ssh

     o    does not require root privileges

     o    pipelining of file transfers to minimize latency costs

     o    support for anonymous or  authenticated  rsync  servers
          (ideal for mirroring)

GENERAL
     There are six different ways of using rsync. They are:

SunOS 5.7            Last change: 1 Mar 1999                    1

> Can you use the file system while it is being rsynced?

Yes.

Steffen
--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne