[Sunhelp] Backup help!

Adams, Christopher CAdams at Starbase.com
Tue Sep 12 15:49:36 CDT 2000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C01CFA.F63C16CE

Anyone know of any good "free" back-up software for Solaris 7?  I'm
currently faced with backing up a critical directory:

/ServerData  (/dev/dsk/c0t8d0s6)

This partition contains "very"critical data for my company.  Working on
limited resources I have been using "ufsdump" to backup the entire partition
each time to an individual file and then copying the file across the network
(slow) to a tape backup on another Solaris box.  In order to get a very
accurate backup I have to umount the /ServerData partition and then do the
ufsdump of this partition to a file.  My reason for using ufsdump was
because we have about 6 gigs of files in /ServerData and my company wishes
to have all of this backed up or at least to have the partition re-mounted
and back online in under 1 hour.  The ufsdump seemed to be fast enough to do
this.  Tar was too slow it seemed and a standard "cp" command to the tape
device was a nightmare time wise.

My company no longer wants me to umount the partition to do the ufsdump
(making my dump very inaccurate).  They would rather not pay money for
expensive backup software either, so this leaves me a bit in a bind.  Can
anyone recommend "any" freeware backup software for Solaris 7 that can help
speed this process up for me or even if anyone has a "better" idea as how to
do this more effectively using another Solaris utility to backup this
partition or even an idea on a great script that would make this more
simple?

Thanks again Solaris Gods!

Christopher A.
Los Angeles, Ca.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C01CFA.F63C16CE

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Backup help!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Anyone know of any good =
"free" back-up software for Solaris 7?  I'm currently =
faced with backing up a critical directory:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">/ServerData  =
(/dev/dsk/c0t8d0s6)</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">This partition contains =
"very"critical data for my company.  Working on limited =
resources I have been using "ufsdump" to backup the entire =
partition each time to an individual file and then copying the file =
across the network (slow) to a tape backup on another Solaris =
box.  In order to get a very accurate backup I have to umount the =
/ServerData partition and then do the ufsdump of this partition to a =
file.  My reason for using ufsdump was because we have about 6 =
gigs of files in /ServerData and my company wishes to have all of this =
backed up or at least to have the partition re-mounted and back online =
in under 1 hour.  The ufsdump seemed to be fast enough to do =
this.  Tar was too slow it seemed and a standard "cp" =
command to the tape device was a nightmare time wise.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">My company no longer wants me to =
umount the partition to do the ufsdump (making my dump very =
inaccurate).  They would rather not pay money for expensive backup =
software either, so this leaves me a bit in a bind.  Can anyone =
recommend "any" freeware backup software for Solaris 7 that =
can help speed this process up for me or even if anyone has a =
"better" idea as how to do this more effectively using =
another Solaris utility to backup this partition or even an idea on a =
great script that would make this more simple?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks again Solaris Gods!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Christopher A.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Los Angeles, Ca.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C01CFA.F63C16CE--