[Sunhelp] Ultra5 as Internet gateway via modem ...

David Rouse cn1407 at coastalnet.com
Sat Sep 9 16:01:26 CDT 2000

On 9/6/00 at 11:43 AM, mart.ad at gmx.net (Martin) wrote:

>I have a private network with some UNIX and Linux machines ...
>Right now I have configured the Linux PC as a Internet Gateway using
ipchains
>.... ;)
>
>Now my questions ... how can I configure Solaris to establish a ppp modem
link
>to my ISP and to get it act as Internet gateway, since I want to replace
the PC
>with it ..;)

I use ip-filter for NAT and firewalling and pppd to control the modem. I
like pppd because it allows for scripts to be run automatically when you
connect and disconnect, which you need if you have dynamic IP on the PPP
connection and want ip-filter to re-sync the gateway routing.

Here are some links:

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html

http://playground.sun.com/pppd/index.html

--