[Sunhelp] [SUMMARY] Network Discovery Tools

Ann Waters Ann.Waters at kp.ORG
Fri Sep 8 12:03:19 CDT 2000

I had asked earlier in the week about network discovery tools that run on a Sparc
with Solaris 2.6.  Thanks to the following folks for providing inputs:

mrhal - Nmap works fine.  I believe nessus works as well, although I have yet to try
 it with Solaris.  Snoop and tcpdump work as well.

Greg LeBlanc - You should be able to compile nmap for Solaris SPARC.  I've got it running
on a couple of my SPARC machines.

Blake Matheny - Snoop is very helpful, as is tcpdump and snort. Snort may be the best
(imho) and it was recently ported to solaris. If you don't know what it
is it's a combination IDS/sniffer/traffic mon/etc.

Scott Walker - NMAP and NTOP run on solaris.

Thanks again for your responses.

Ann Waters
Kaiser Permanente
Silver Spring, MD