[Sunhelp] scsi confusion

Kevin Maguire kmaguire at eso.org
Fri Sep 8 01:59:53 CDT 2000

Hi

One of my users purchased a Philips DVD drive to attach to his Ultra-1
workstation.  The model number is PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-303.  This comes
with 50-pin Centronics connectors, so I guess is a SCSI-1 device.
Unfortunately I have no (zero) documentation on this unit.

The SCSI connector on his machine is 68-pin Micro D.  Using a 68
Micro-D - 50-pin Centronics cable the drive did not work correctly, my
guess was that the termination is not right.  I then tried using a
68-50 (both Micro D) converter which terminates the high lines, and a
50-pin Micro-D to 50-pin Centronics cable - however this also did not
work.

However when I connected to my Ultra 10, with its dual channel VHDCI
connectors, using a 68-pin Micro Centronics to 50 pin (standard)
Centronics cable, terminating with a 50-pin Centronics terminator, the
drive works fine, I can read normal and DVD CDs via vold.  If I
understand SCSI correctly (unlikely) then this should *not* work?

On all the machines involved I have the scg driver installed, all run
Solaris 2.6, and the output of the command below is the same.

% /opt/CD_write/cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.6.1a3 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jorg Schilling
scsibus0:
--> snip
/opt/CD_write/cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
capabilities page.
                  4) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD-ROM DVD-303 ' '1.10' Removable CD-ROM
--> snip

My user demands that the drive is connected to his Ultra 1, I am at a
loss as what I can do.  Help!

Kevin

                         \\\|///
                       \\  - -  //
                        (  @ @  )
+---------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------------------------+
| Kevin Maguire                                Unix Support |
| kmaguire at eso.org            European Southern Observatory |
| Tel:+49 (0)89 3200 6387      Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2 |
| Fax:+49 (0)89 3200 6380     D-85748 Garching bei Muenchen |
|      "The merely Difficult we will do immediately.        |
|         The Impossible will take slightly longer"         |
                       oooO   (   )
                        \_)