[Sunhelp] Should I ever reboot a Solaris box if I don't need to?

Adams, Christopher CAdams at Starbase.com
Wed Sep 6 13:23:47 CDT 2000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0182F.9B85B1F6

I have a E 450 UltraSparc-II with 2 gig of ram and 6 18 gig Segate Cheetah
drives (non-raid).  This 450 is "only" running an Oracle database (8.1.5)
and has been running with no problems for 6 months straight without being
rebooted.  This is a production server and has mission critical data on it.
Last weekend our Oracle DBA made a call to "reboot" the server because he
heard through the grapevine that "rebooting" a Solaris server (even if there
are no problems or configuration changes necessary for this) every 3 to 4
months is a good thing and should be done.  My question is, "Is this true?
Should you reboot a running server that doesn't need to be rebooted for any
administrative purposes every 3 to 4 months just for good measure?".  I
think he is getting confused with Microsoft (no offense of course) NT
Server.

Please Fire away with any advice you can give...

Thanks in advance..

Christopher A.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0182F.9B85B1F6

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Should I ever reboot a Solaris box if I don't need to?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have a E 450 UltraSparc-II with 2 =
gig of ram and 6 18 gig Segate Cheetah drives (non-raid).  This =
450 is "only" running an Oracle database (8.1.5) and has been =
running with no problems for 6 months straight without being =
rebooted.  This is a production server and has mission critical =
data on it.  Last weekend our Oracle DBA made a call to =
"reboot" the server because he heard through the grapevine =
that "rebooting" a Solaris server (even if there are no =
problems or configuration changes necessary for this) every 3 to 4 =
months is a good thing and should be done.  My question is, =
"Is this true? Should you reboot a running server that doesn't =
need to be rebooted for any administrative purposes every 3 to 4 months =
just for good measure?".  I think he is getting confused with =
Microsoft (no offense of course) NT Server.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Please Fire away with any advice you =
can give...</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks in advance..</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Christopher A.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C0182F.9B85B1F6--