[Sunhelp] multiple consoles

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Sat Sep 2 13:55:11 CDT 2000

>| I want to enable multiple console or virtual screens in solaris 7
>| like from shift f1.....to shift f7

>Sounds like you want to remove Solaris and install Linux or FreeBSD
>(if it's an x86 box ...)  As far as I know, Solaris doesn't support
>what you're talking about.

>You can get pretty close with `screen', however.  Great program.  Get
>it at prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/screen.

Solaris x86 does support this (pre Solaris 8). Check out
http://access1.Sun.COM/cgi-bin/rinfo2html?244502.faq .
This document does have typo's though.
 -In step two the vt0#'s should be incrementing.
   i.e.-   mknod /dev/vt01 c <num> 1
            mknod /dev/vt02 c <num> 1

 -In step three the lines should begin with v1, v2, ..., v7 instead of co
   Also note that the entries should only take up a single line and not
   two or three as some may interpret the document as showing.
   i.e.- v1:234:respawn ... /dev/vt01 -l console

 I've done this on Solaris x86 machines back to 2.5. If I recall correctly
this used to be covered in Casper Dik's Solaris 2.x FAQ, but a quick
check looks like either I'm imagining things or it's been removed. Sun
has been threatening to remove this feature since 2.5 and I believe someone
told me that it was finally removed in version 8. (But you're asking for
version 7 so that doesn't apply to you)

 -david