[Sunhelp] Mem size in RPC XDRs

munkumar at hss.hns.com munkumar at hss.hns.com
Tue Oct 10 10:49:02 CDT 2000

In the eXternal Data Representation (XDR) in the RPC mechanism, there exists a
parameter xdr_handy
for the CLIENT handle. This parameter is internally used by xdr_mem.c to
allocate memory to the xdr
buffers. (calls like xdr_u_char, xdr_u_int) get buff once the value in xdr_handy
is validated. This value
is decremented by 4 everytime a long is allocated for XDR. ( long is 4 bytes ).

As far as my observation goes this parameter is not reset to initial value even
after a successful RPC.
My question is that is there anyway to reset this value so as the RPC
application (client ) doesn;t encounter
RPC failure because xdr_mem couldn';t allocated proper buffer for request
messages.

thanks and regards
muni

PS: This posting is in continuaton to my earlier posts on RPC. There is no
problem in xdr_vector but it
xdr_mem functionality which fails due to limitation in value of xdr_handy.