[Sunhelp] gunzip - to uncompress

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Mon May 29 04:19:01 CDT 2000

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 01:59:41PM -0400, Andy Say wrote:

| Actually in most places gunzip is just a soft link to gzip...  The
| executable reads the command line to determine the operation (i.e. gzip vs.
| gunzip).

That is true, however that's probably not going to help this guy ...

| | You could just use 'gzip -d' instead of gunzip.  In fact, I believe
| | gunzip and gzip are the same executable.
| |
| | -David
| |
| | On Fri, 26 May 2000, Raju Gogula wrote:
| |
| | > Hi all,
| | >
| | > I am on newly installed Solaris 7. I want to uncompress .gz files. I have
| | > downloaded gzip and inturn it is again having .gz extension. Alternately,
| | > found gunzip command in
| | > one of the directories with
| | > -rw-r--r--	1 	root	other	60472	gunzip
| | >
| | > But  I cannot to run this program, as it is not executable. Any help?

Assuming that this is actually a Solaris Sparc or x86 executable
(exactly which is needed depends on what platform you're talking
about, of course) all you need to do is make it executable -

   chmod a+x gunzip
   ./gunzip file.gz

If you get some wierd error about incorrect architecture or something
like that, then you probably didn't download the right gunzip binary.

While you're at it, if you don't have a gzip and zcat, add one -

   ln gunzip gzip
   ln gunzip zcat

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com