[Sunhelp] Sol8 on SS5-110

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri May 26 00:29:45 CDT 2000

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Solaris 8 will work on sun4m and above; support for sun4c (ss1, ss2, IPC,
> IPX, ss1+, ELC, SLC) was dropped with sol8.  I expect sun4m to be fully
> supported for at least one more release.

I'd expect longer than that, actually.  sun4m was shipped until 1998, so I
doubt Sun will fully drop support until 2003 if they keep their 5-year
support cycle.

The main reason sun4m was kept alive as long as it was was to continue
shipping supported machines for SunOS 4 until it was officially declared
dead.

-James