[Sunhelp] stop A on non-Sun keyboard

Tom Jones tjones at statesman.com
Thu May 25 16:57:48 CDT 2000

If you are connected to Enterprise class Sun servers, the key must be in the
Normal operating position.  If it is in the secure mode, you may have been
sending the breaks but they would not affect the server.  You can verify secure
mode via /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v and check the
Environment Status area.  Here is a portion of that output from one of our
servers:

========================= Environmental Status =========================
Keyswitch position is in Secure Mode

We use terminal concentrators and don't want to risk the server going to the
Openboot PROM
prompt if the terminal concentrator were to have any type of failure (i.e. power
supply go out).

Tom Jones

BTW - sending a break signal is correct to get the OK prompt.  This will vary
according to the
console implementation (i.e. different when using tip, PC emulator, dumb
terminal).  If a telnet
session, you should be able to man telnet to determine how to send a break.