[Sunhelp] disk problem

Dexter-Al Eugenio dex at SUN.COM.PH
Wed May 17 02:50:43 CDT 2000

hi there,

i have a problem with one of our servers, one of the filesystems is so
fragmented...  when invoked a df -k, the concerned filesystem reported 63%
full, however reported /db01 filesystem full and the disk is no longer
writable.  When the /db01 is fsck"ed", the system reports 64%
fragmentation.  I already gave them initial workaround, backup the
filesystem, newfs the filesystem and then restore the backup to the new
created filesystem.  After the execution, the fragmentation brought down,
and after a month it goes up constantly and back to more then 50%
fragmentation again.

if you would ask the nature of the files in that filesystem... files are
small but many... is this somewhat related to the inodes' shortage (i
guess). please advise...

another thing, there are other filesystems similar to that problematic fs
are OK, almost the same of file sizes but the type of file is different...
the good one is written on ASCII form, unlike the bad one is written on a
binary form... i don't know if this type of writing would be the factor
affecting filesystem's behaviour... please advise...

i haven't tried to newfs using 4k blocks (existing filesystem is in 8k
blocks). and according to the man pages, i can't use 4k blocks for sun4u
machines.

btw, i'm using Ultra 2 with Solaris 2.6 running.

thanks for any help.

Dex
------