[Sunhelp] Decypering panic messages

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Tue May 16 14:37:50 CDT 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

| Would y'all say this is bad CPU, bad RAM, or both?
|
| # grep panic messages
| May 15 18:30:23 oradev1 unix: panic[cpu0]/thread=0x30023e80: CPU0 Multiple
| Privileged UE Error: AFSR 0x00000001 80300000 AFAR 0x00000000 81007050
| SIMM U0901 U0902 U0903 U0904

What kind of box is this? It's calling out a whole bank of slots.

I ran into this same problem last week on a e4500. It turned out that the
Kingston RAM installed on all but one of the CPU boards was
defective. Replaced it with Sun barcode RAM and things were great. I was
able to reliably reproduce the panic running the VTS kmem test.

If you have a mix of manufacturers for your DIMMS then try making
everything from the same maker, or better yet, try all Sun.

/dale