[Sunhelp] solaris and routing, cant ping on local subnet ?

Kevin Maguire kmaguire at eso.org
Wed May 10 10:58:57 CDT 2000

Hi

[ I posted this to sun-managers, and have had several responses.  Most
have suggested checking the subnet mask, which I have done and it is
correct. ]

I have a curious problem, which has defeated me.  Here goes ...

machine X is on one of our subnets, and has IP address:

AAA.BBB.CC.26

There are about 50 machines (or so) on this subnet.  Of these machine
X can ping about half of them, with no obvious pattern to those he can
ping and those he cannot.

He can also ping the router, which is on

AAA.BBB.CC.199

Those he cannot ping, cannot ping him either.  So machine Y, which
cant be reached from Machine X, can't ping Machine X.

Machine Z, which can't be ping-ed or ping machine X, can ping and be
ping-ed from by Machine Y.  So it does seem the problem is just with
Machine X.

The network guys say everything on the port looks good.  We tried
re-configuring a laptop with the same IP address as Machine X, and it
works perfectly.  It can ping and be pinged from everything on the
subnet.

Machine X can ping everything outside its own subnet.

All the configurations on this machine look OK, the routing table is
as follows:

% netstat -rn

Routing Table:
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref   Use   Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
AAA.BBB.CC.0         AAA.BBB.CC.26         U        3    711  le0
224.0.0.0            AAA.BBB.CC.26         U        3      0  le0
default              AAA.BBB.CC.199        UG       0   6355
127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1             UH       0 103429  lo0

This is an Ultra 1, and is running Solaris 2.6.  The network is
switched.  The netmask is 255.255.255.0, and machines that we cannot
ping sometimes show up in the arp cache.  The physical addresses given
are correct, though I dont know if this information is coming directly
from the machines, or from the router which is in the ping-able set.

Suggestions.  Any diagnostics I should run?

TIA,
Kev
   /\___/\   | Kevin Maguire                      Unix Support |
   | o o |   | ESO               European Southern Observatory |
 (__/ . \__) | Tel: +49 (0) 89 3200 6387       *** e-mail ***  |
  _|  :  |_  | Fax: +49 (0) 89 3200 6380      kmaguire at eso.org |