[Sunhelp] MP3 Player using an LX

Thomas Reagan tkr at brown.edu
Tue May 9 17:06:49 CDT 2000

I use my SparcStation 5 for this purpose, mounting the mp3s using sharity
(an SMB/CIFS program similar to samba, but precompiled and supporting
NFS-style mounts under Solaris which are normally only available on Linux).
It worked great using mpg123, but lately I have been using xaudio
(www.xaudio.com), which claims to be lower usage intensive.

Quick tests show xaudio using 5-10% less cpu on the machine than mpg123,
which may be what is necessary.  Rxaudio also offers a convenient interface
for developing front-ends, esp. remote ones.  I intend to use it for a
similar project on a PC set-top box called the WebSurfer.

Hope that this helps.

tkr