[Sunhelp] Configuring Networking

Wayne Schmieder wschmied at CellNet.com
Mon May 1 16:19:47 CDT 2000

Try the following command netstat -nr.  This should show you if you have a
default router configured.  You'll see something like this in the table.

default              148.80.130.9          UG       0 114293

Basically what this line says is the IP address of the default gateway and
that it is a gateway  (UG) that is up.

If you don't see this use the following as root.  route add default x.x.x.x
1

x.x.x.x being the IP address of your default gateway or router. The one is
the metric.

Any host specific routes you add, i.e. route to machine x via netxhop route
y, are also added using the route add command.  Be sure to configure
/etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc so that it contains a line such as /usr/sbin/route
add destination x gateway y 1  . Otherwise any host or net specific routes
will be lost after a re - boot.

If this is correct use traceroute to an address you are trying to reach.
 You should see it go to you default router as part of the path.  If your
getting to your default router, and not further, the router could be set up
to filter what machines are allowed outside access.  If this is the case
you may have to add a permit statement in the router filters.  Procedures
for this depend on the router.  This may sound too obvious, but make sure
that the machine you are attempting to ping can be pinged from other hosts
on the same sub-net.  For security reasons, some administrators do not
allow you to ping from an outside machine.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Schmieder