[Sunhelp] Unique NIS problem

Rtjepps at aol.com Rtjepps at aol.com
Mon Jul 31 14:32:02 CDT 2000

Hi,
  I'm having a unique problem with my Sun 450 running Solaris 2.6.  I went to reboot on Friday and noticed that the reboot had hung.  After investigating in single-user mode I've found that the hang occurs in the S72 inetsvc script, in particular, the /usr/sbin/ifconfig -auD netmask + broadcast + command. The system is used as a NIS master so I rebuilt the maps  and still no full reboot.  During a last ditch attempt I removed the resolv.conf file and changed the nsswitch.conf, removing the dns options from hosts.  Upon rebooting the system booted completely but of course DNS wouldn't work.  I proceeded to put the resolv.conf file back in and changed back nsswitch.conf to original setting and now that works!  Needless to say I'm a bit confused as to what's going on.  I have a couple of other 450's in house but there is no smoking gun anywhere as to what is causing this problem.  Any insights?

Ron