[Sunhelp] Question about keyboard/mice

patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG
Fri Jul 28 17:39:50 CDT 2000

On 28-Jul-00 at 11:43, Bill Bradford (mrbill at mrbill.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 11:08:47AM -0400, Scott Walker wrote:
> > Is it possible to use anything other than a sun keyboard/mice on a sun?
> > Or is there a company who makes like Natural keyboards, and different
> > style of mice.. etc?
>
> Sun sells an adapter box for $75 that lets you use any PS/2 mouse or
> keyboard with a Sun machine.  I've got one on my Ultra10 (see
> http://www.sunhelp.org/cleaning/workstation.jpg) so that I can use
> the normal Sun Type 5 keyboard along with a Logitech Trackman Marble
> trackball.

If I were to hook up my Kensington mouse to it, would I get full
support for all five buttons, and the wheel, under Solaris 8 ?
Also, can you hook it between the keyboard and mouse to use the
Sun keyboard with a wider range of input devices?

Alternatively, someone here said that Solaris supports most of
the PCI USB boards; so could I put in a cheap USB board and use
a USB mouse and/or keyboard?

Also, is there anything that would let me use my Sun keyboard with
a PC?  Or are there any PC keyboards with Sun-like layouts? (Additional
left function pad, CapsLock out of the way, Ctrl and ESC in reachable
locations, etc.  Power and monitor/audio control keys a plus.)

Thanks,
-Pat