[Sunhelp] Ultra 5 GFX .....

Martin mart.ad at gmx.net
Fri Jul 28 09:40:44 CDT 2000

Hello,

I got the opportunity to acquire a SUN Ultra 5 from their Educational Promo
Bundle ....
And its pretty fast .....
However, I have some questions:

1. What kind of GFX Upgrades could I do ...... ?
I mean ... for me it doesn't seem, as like the PGX32 Card would help me much,
when I try to use Software like Blender ...
And preferably not directly from SUN as they own upgrades seem  to be very
expensive ...
BTW: I opened my SUN Ultra5 and on the GFX Chips there was something like ATI
Rage Pro .........
	Hmmm.... is a PGX24 just a re-badged ATI Rage Pro ......?
        If yes, which smooth 3D  PCI Boards could I install in the machine ....
and get supported by Opengl and the OS?

2. How comes it that the sun keyboards got so bad, concerning quality ...
At work I have an Ultra1 with a type 5 Keyboard which is quite comfortable ....
but the new type 6 keyboard is just made cheap ... IMHO ... not to be compared
to sgi and apple ..... :(

3. Is it possible to upgrade the cache memory from 256KB to 1-2 Megs .....?
    How could I do that   ?
And a newbie CDE-Question : I wanted to play some mpeg movies .... and simply
double-clicked them on the desktop ....
Well ... CDE told me that I have no Mpeg Player, however Solaris 8 installed
ShowMeTV .... what can I do ... since I am not very familiar with CDE I'd
appreciate any direction ..... ;)