[Sunhelp] Closing network connections

Nicholas Dronen ndronen at frii.com
Wed Jul 26 09:38:42 CDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 03:09:28PM +0100, Rui Monteiro wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have a network daemon that frequently crashes living the socket hanged.
>
> I cannot restart the daemon because the port it listens was not closed due to the crash.
>
> Is there any way force the shutdown of this socket wihtout restarting the machine ?

Rui:

The correct thing to do is to complain to the vendor or author of the
daemon.  They should be using setsockopt with the SO_REUSEADDR argument
for all sockets they bind to in their code.  This doesn't answer you
original question, exactly, but I do forget whether you only have
to wait a few minutes before you can reuse the port+address or
you have to reboot the machine.  Even so, the application is
broken.

Regards,

Nick Dronen