[Sunhelp] 3com modem

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Tue Jul 25 17:06:21 CDT 2000

 Ravi,

      If I'm reading your description of this item correctly, you do not have an analog
modem there. This is an ISDN router with perks. You connect your computer to it
via ethernet (one of the RJ45 ports). This item serves other purposes than just
ISDN services, it also acts as an ethernet hub and a V.90 server.
    What that last part means is that it can _answer_ analog 56K connections
but cannot initiate them. It's used so that you, or someone else, could dial into
your home setup (the 56K LAN modem (I really wish companies would stop calling
these things "modems") at speeds upwards of 56K. This is special because unlike
the slower modem speeds, 56K connections can only be made with normal modems
on the initiating end and special "server" type variations on the receiving end (your
56K LAN modem).

 -david