[Sunhelp] RE: Solaris 8 - unable to mount cdrom - SLIGHT SUMMARY

Matt Tilley MTilley at gaexpress.com
Fri Jul 21 07:21:48 CDT 2000

I had a couple of replies, which I wanted to thank those individuals (Robert
F. and Ben D.).  To answer those replies - unfortunately I'm off-site now,
so I won't be able to try it again until I get back there (so patches will
have to wait, ISP connection between Sun site and that site was too slow and
the CD that I had I couldn't get mounted), but I thought that I would
address a couple of the suggestions:

1.)	 I didn't try file manager - but I wouldn't think that it would see
something that I couldn't see with an "ls" (but will try just in case).

2.)	Vold was running, but no /cdrom was ever created.  Perhaps the
problem was that after placing CD in drive I cd'ed to / and didn't see a
/cdrom, so I first created it 	prior to invoking "volcheck" - maybe I
should have invoked "volcheck" first and /cdrom would have been created?  I
would have thought that the directory would have 	been created during
the Solaris install, but who knows.

The rest of the package, "Permissions check, vold log, a vol directory w/i
containing a /dev/dsk/<cdrom device>, /etc/vold.conf., /etc/rmmount.conf"
are areas that I will check on my next site visit - as well as checking them
here on my home system (Sparc 5) to be better acquainted with them for
future reference.

Thanks again, I can't wait to try these suggestions out.

- Matt