[Sunhelp] gnu tar question

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Fri Jul 21 11:18:11 CDT 2000

 i've found it better to use -X file_list (--exclude-from FILE_LIST) with
gnu tar. also, in some revisions --exclude and --exclude-from use
PATTERN instead of FILE.
 i'm not near my machine to double check which tar i tend to use
for situations like that (i _think_ i use Sun's version), but i found
the 'include files from FILELIST' switch to be more reliable in the
situations that needed it in for some odd reason. ls -l'd the file/dir list
into a file after some filtering with tr, cut, grep -v and then run
sed against the file (if needed). then tar with the --include option.

 -david