[Sunhelp] finding out serial #

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Fri Jul 21 10:54:58 CDT 2000

  When I referred to having verified information regarding the serial number
handling with SGI's, I meant that I put a call in to SGI and spoke to two
of their technicians who informed me of the fact that they use the serial
numbers of the motherboards as the serial numbers for the entire system.

  Whether or not they format it in such a way that a system's serial number
can also be used as the initial MAC address or whether or not a warrantied
replacement of motherboards includes the practice of setting the serial
number on the replacement motherboard to match the one on the faulty
original.. I do not know and did not ask.

  My curiousity honestly only extended to as far as wondering what
they did to make a serial number for an entire system accessible through
some single components' nvram/rom/whatever. The SGI's that I do have to
deal with are only on a part time basis for a company that I consult for
and I do not have any desire to ask them to let me take them apart and
play with them. My effort in the quest stopped at just asking SGI
themselves what they did in this matter.

  I guess a good question to see if your observations are more correct
than the SGI tech's statements would be if the motherboards you
exchanged were new products (from SGI directly or some 3rd party vendor)
or if they were used products (from SGI directly or some 3rd party vendor
or individual). If they were used and from an individual and your serial
number did not change then I would hazard the guess that the SGI techs'
were wrong. If it was one of the other possibilities then it probably stands
a good chance that your records were accessed and the replacements
were configured to match that information. Otherwise, in any kind of record
keeping (inventory system) they would have to have built entirely new
records for your upgraded systems, ported the data from your old records over,
and then wiped the old records or linked them into a history of sorts for the
new records.

 -david