[Sunhelp] Solaris 8 upgrade how to? (fwd)

Brian Scanlan singer at redbrick.dcu.ie
Fri Jul 14 19:43:20 CDT 2000

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 01:16:09PM -0700, Will Melick wrote:
> Sorry I'm not that experienced with Solaris (yet) and have a question
> about upgrades:

Damn right you should apologise - It's inexcusable that you weren't born with
in depth Solaris knowledge. ;)

> Is there an easy way to got from 2.6 to 8 and keep all the file system
> (partitions), data, init.d intact?

I can't explicitly remember if everything in /etc/init.d, /etc/rc2.d etc. is
left intact, however, the process of upgrading Solaris so the filesystem and
data is left intact is a no-brainer.

The process is simply a matter of booting off your cdrom, making sure you keep
your current existing filesystem information (I remember a button being
labelled "preserve"...), select all your details as you would normally, and
the upgrade process takes place- There is a log kept of all changes made etc.

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.214.7/SPARCINFOLIB/@Ab2PageView/2232?DwebQuery=solaris+OR+8+OR+upgrade&Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1

Step one of an upgrade is to make sure you've got a current backup, remember.
;)

> I'm 99% sure the applications (HP OpenView 6.1 and Concord NetHealth 4.6)
> will be no problem...they are both supported in Solaris 2.7

http://www.concord.com/products/techspec/nethealth/unix.htm
Doesn't report Solaris 8 availability - perhaps a mail to info at concord.com is
needed...
I suppose you could try it on a Solaris 8 system to see if it does work,
though it may have a check of what OS it's running on hard coded into it.

Check this out for Openview on Solaris 8.
http://www.openview.hp.com/products/nnm/general/general.asp?docID=944

Hope this helps.
Brian.
--