[Sunhelp] X-terminals and CDE

Lara Vernon bmis at eng.murdoch.edu.au
Sun Jul 9 00:39:56 CDT 2000

Hi all.  We recently upgraded to Solaris 8 on 2 E-3000 servers and changed our Xterminals so that they boot into
CDE.

The problem is this:
Logging into these xterms has become a nightmare, with it now appearing to be machine specific.  For example, I can
log into the server on one X-term fine and on another identical machine I get the following error:

"The DT messaging system cannot be started.  Please check your host name is correct in etc/hosts blah blah blah"
and if you click OK, you get booted back to the login screen.

We originally thought it was simply a matter of fixing path statements in .cshrc, but then realised that different
machines were working while others did, plus simply copying .cshrc from a person that could log on, into the home
dir of some-one who couldn't, also DIDN'T make any difference.  Choosing Failsafe Option seems to work fine.

As I am not that familiar with CDE, can any point me in the direction of getting this sorted?

Cheers,

Lara