[Sunhelp] disks for Sun SSA

P Nutton Paul.Nutton at awe.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 10:17:26 CDT 2000

Hi all,

I have now fitted five 9.0 Gb drives into my Sun SSA (100 series) replacing
the existing 1.05Gb drives, part numbers (format, select drive, i) below as
promised:

Vendor	IBM
Product	DNES30917SUN9.0G
Rev		SAD0

Vendor	Fujitsu
Product	MAB3091S SUN9.0G
rev		1907

It is the following disk that I am having problems with

Vendor	Seagate
Product	ST39173WC
Rev		6244

This disk, when labeled, shows as 7076 cyl, 8.00 Gb

The one I have in an E450 shows as 7499 cyl, 8.47 Gb, but all other info,
INCLUDING THE  FIRMWARE REVISION is identical!

Scary.

No amount of reformatting, verification, prtvtoc/fmthard, format -e (scsi
expert mode) will persuade the disk that it can address 7499 cylinders. I
can see them go past as the disk formats, but when the time comes to label
the disk, the command fails as it can no-longer read the backup label. I
don't want it to read the backup label, as that is old data on the previous
format. But it doesn't ask.

Hav anyone out there any idea how to low-level format one of these drives to
persuade it that it <really> is 7499 cylinders? Is this a forced firmware
upgrade (shudder)?

NB I have just recieved another Seagate 9.0Gb drive from our repair people,
which is:

Vendor	Seagate
Product	ST39173W SUN9.0G
Rev		2815

which shows as 8.43 Gb, the same as the Fujitsu and IBM drives. Really
scary.
--
Paul Nutton

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is commercial in confidence. If you are not the named addressee(s) or if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  Please notify us immediately by email at intadmin at awe.co.uk, and then delete this message from your computer.  While attachments are virus checked, AWE plc does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.