[Sunhelp] sun ultra5 memory type

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jul 4 16:08:55 CDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, BERTOLI Javier E. wrote:

> OK, but is there any risk at trying? Does standard SDRAM DIMM differ
> greatly from ECC EDO DIMMs? Do they differ in voltage or pins
> distribution?

The key here is really the ECC bits.  "Cheap" PC memory does not have them
and nearly all Sun systems require them.

"Standard" SDRAM is a bit of a misnomer as the PC memory standard is a
rapidly moving target.

> I've contacted SUN's local representative and he sent me this
> specifications, which only specify ECC for the Ultra1:

The Ultra 5 and 10 take standard JEDEC 168-pin ECC EDO DIMMs.  Period.
Nothing else will work.

The same type of memory was used in most Pentium Pro systems.

-James