[Sunhelp] Soalris 8 & LDAP

Lara Matthews lara at accesscomputing.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 09:43:27 CDT 2000

Hi

Has anyone had success with LDAP as the authentication method for
Solaris 8?  I saw the mails that went round about a week or two ago and
read up those papers.

However I am stuck.  I have installed Netscape Directory Server 4.1 on
solaris 8 and changed the nsswitch.conf file so that both password and
group have the listing ldap files.

The problem is the machine keeps throwing up and error saying it can't
read the /var/ldap/ldap_client... files.  I have tried running
ldapclient which is suppose to be the command to configure these files
but it fails with these errors:

parsing -i option
parsing -b option
findDN: begins
findDN: calling __ns_ldap_default_config()
found 2 namingcontexts
findDN: __ns_ldap_list(NULL,
"(&(objectclass=nisDomainObject)(nisdomain=))"
rootDN[0] o=ultra10
NOTFOUND:Could not find the nisDomainObject for DN o=ultra10
findDN: __ns_ldap_list(NULL,
"(&(objectclass=nisDomainObject)(nisdomain=))"
rootDN[1] o=NetscapeRoot
NOTFOUND:Could not find the nisDomainObject for DN o=NetscapeRoot
findDN rename(/var/ldap/ldap_client_file.orig,
/var/ldap/ldap_client_file) failed!
findDN rename(/var/ldap/ldap_client_cred.orig,
/var/ldap/ldap_client_cred) failed!
cannot find search base DN

1. Why is it looking for a nisdomain
2. What base DN is it looking for?  I have tried the full DN of the
admin. user, NetscapeRoot, the server itself nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any ideas / notion of what I am having on about.

Much thanks

Lara