[Sunhelp] TOD

Morgan.G Morgan.Gnanamani at Singapore.Sun.COM
Tue Feb 22 02:45:24 CST 2000

hi,

This workaround and solution is copied from an internal SRDB of SUN.

Solution
---------
SRDB 14006
==========

Review the 3000/4000/5000/6000 SMCC Platform Notes regarding
the OpenBoot PROM "copy-clock-tod-to-io-boards" command.

This command will resolve the problem if the cause is that the
redundant NVRAM on an IO does not have a valid copy of the TOD.

The message was first noticed when the system was power cycled.

To fix this problem, install the FlashPROM update (OBP 3.2.3 version)
via patch 103346-02( the latest is rev -24) (which will update the code in ALL
FlashPROMs on the cpu/memory and IO Boards (if not already at 3.2.3).

The first byte of the OBP checksum is kept in the TODC/NVRAM.
Because of a bug in the hardware, the first byte was getting zeroed out
This happens during the power cycle.

FYI,

Workaround
----------
A little on clock-board command at the ok prompt

TODC Management
---------------

     TODC is the acronym for Time Of Day Clock (this includes the NVRAM).

     copy-clock-tod-to-io-boards

        Usage: copy-clock-tod-to-io-boards
        Purpose: To copy the contents of the clock board NVRAM and the contents
        of the TOD clock to all good I/O boards in the system.
        Note: This is automatic if all the conditions below are true:

        1. There is a functioning clock board in the system.
        2. Its contents match that of at least one I/O board in the system.

     copy-io-board-tod-to-clock-tod

        Usage: x copy-io-board-tod-to-clock-tod

        Where x = slot number of I/O board
	NOTE: this i/o board number must be a hexadecimal value.

        Purpose: To update the contents of a clock board (probably new) with
        the contents from one of the backup I/O board copies.
        Note - This may have to be done if the clock board was replaced and
        the user wants to restore its original NVRAM.

Try this out and remmeber to take precaution in installing ANY such patches!

Cheers,

	 ______
        /_____/\              Morgan .G
       /_____\\ \             Regional Systems Engineer