[Sunhelp] C Compiler?

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Fri Feb 18 11:29:21 CST 2000

And what would you expect?  Sun has a better intimate knowledge of the SPARC
architecture than the EGCS/GCC group, and much more expierence writing
compilers for it.  GCC is a really nice compiler, but I expect that most
comertial Solaris applications are compiled using Sun's workshop, with some
relatively agressive optimization options.  I don't want you to take this as
a knock on GCC, since I use it all the time (sun workshop for SPARC was an
800MB download!!!!), but I'd expect Sun's compiler to be better, especially
for the Ultras.  People don't write free code for anything other than GNU
make, and GCC, which poses problems.  As for the problems that the original
poster was commenting on, write the authors and tell them that their
programs are broken, and if you can, send fixes.
	Greg