[Sunhelp] hosed up root login... HELP!

ds ds at primenet.com
Tue Feb 15 18:52:34 CST 2000

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> > One of our Admin's just built his new Ultra 5.  After he was done, he
> > wanted to change the Root shell to Korn.  In doing so, he changed the
> > correct shell name in the passwd file, yet he forgot to change to path
> > to the shell.
>
> What do you mean that you still couldn't get in?  Booting from the CD
> shouldn't use any files from the hard disk.  The 3 or 4 times that I've done
> the same thing (except with tcsh), I've been able to ok boot cdrom -s and
> change the entry in /etc/passwd back to /bin/sh and reboot.  Then I can
> log-in and finish changing my shell.

I'm sorry, I should clarify.  According to him... he tried booting via
cdrom -s and he still couldn't get in.  All I can do is trust what he
has told me.  I was the one who recommended he try it because I thought
it would work, but when he came back and said it wouldn't, I asked him a
few questions and his response was "IT! isn't going to work".

I guess he will just have to rebuild.

Thanks for the help... I will archive all the responses incase I ever do
this.

Email:	ds at primenet.com
Web:	http://radsl-sullinger.phx.primenet.com/
"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD"