[Sunhelp] cachefs performance

bjf bjf at samurai.com
Fri Feb 11 21:56:26 CST 2000

Howdy,

At my day job, I'm looking to implement a setup with a large backend
cgi/java/db server and smaller frontend web servers.  With the concept I'm
working with right now we'll be dealing with some regularly generated (every
5-10 minutes) static html pages, plus a whole lot of content which changes
once a day or once a week, all of which somehow need to get onto the frontend
web servers (which are likely going to be 4-5 Netra T1s - backend is a
quad-cpu E450).

I've read a bit about cachefs, and think exporting the backend document
tree and mounting it as the backend cachefs filesystem might work nicely, if
cachefs works fairly well in a production environment.  We're right now
doing on the order of 500,000 pageviews per day (~2M hits/day), but will
likely be hitting numbers well over 2M pageviews during high-traffic events
this year (ie Olympics).

Anyone used/using cachefs in a high(ish) volume situation?  Pros/cons/advice?

Thanks,

Bryan

--
Bryan Fullerton                http://bryanfullerton.com/