[Sunhelp] booting from tape AND CDR software

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Thu Feb 10 08:09:43 CST 2000

On Thu 2000-02-10 (13:55), Ludovic BORG wrote:
> Let me first say hello to everybody ( i'm new in sunhelp :)
>
> Well, I've two questions :
>
> 1) I'm serching for a free or cheap software to use with
> a CD-RECORDER on solaris 4 or 5.

cdrecord.

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

> 2) I've saved a sparc 4/330 server, and i'm not able to boot from cdrom,
> because i've not a sun -one !

If you can get such a beast, use a Toshiba 2x (XM4201). Works.
Some newer ones can be switched to use 512 bytes block size.

  But I've a tape, and
> as i've learnt we can boot from tape. So my question is about
> the command on solaris to make a boot tape with a mini-system.

I've got some 4.0.x boot tapes, would it help to dump them ?

Steffen, few time to analyze the structure of those tapes
--
Steffen Grunewald = steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de = fax +49-331-288-1266
+ steffen.grunewald(at)gmx.de, (without subject) 9311356(at)scall.de