[Sunhelp] Memory in an Ultra 5

Stephen Holmes sholmes at atlan-tech.com
Thu Feb 3 10:28:30 CST 2000

2 or 3 weeks back I asked the list whether anybody had tried loading 512 Mbyte
memory upgrades into an Ultra 5.
I saw very few replies, so this may be useful information.

I purchased 2 packs of Dataram 512Meg memory for testing.
The Ultra 5/333 system booted quite happily with one or both packs installed.
In each case it recognised all the memory I had installed.

The only problem was that the memory is considerably taller then the original
boards.
So with the 512s in Place you can't reload the floppy drive.

So you can have extra memory, but have to dispense with a floppy drive.
A good exchange in my opinion.

Steve