[SunHELP] URGENT -Help Pls

Balaji srinivasan sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 27 09:01:06 CST 2000

Hi Admins,
           The box in distress is SS20 SUNOS 5.4. A power outage happenend
and seems to have corrupted the files /var/adm/utmpx and utmp. When the
system came back after power came back I get the msgs

INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx

INIT : failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT : failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT : SINGLE USER MODE:

Type  ctrl-d to proceed with normal boot
(or give ROOT password for system maintenance mode)

I gave the root password and renamed the files utmp and utmpx to utmp and
utmpx.old and rebooted the system but got the same err msgs again.
One thing to mention is that /var/adm is linked to /usr/informix/var/adm.

Any ideas....pls reply back ASAP....

Thanks,
Balaji