[SunHELP] Bad TOD/NVRAM?

steve price sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 26 09:28:22 CST 2000

Hi all,

I recently pulled an old IPX off the shelf and fired
it up.  Of course, the ether address and hostid wern't
there - so I replaced the NVRAM with a brand new one
from Mouser.  Reset the hostid and ether address.

Now at boot it complains that
FAILURE TOD (f20007fa) Bit failure, exp=000000ff,
obs=0000007f.  Can't op.

Power on Self Test Failed - Replace NVRAM.

However, the ether address and hostid remains after
removing power, and the clock keeps good time,
indicating the battery is ok.

I've pulled the sun-nvram-hostid.faq and reset - but
no avail.

Other than saying its failed and stopping the boot
process, the box is happy.

Any ideas on how to reset the bit it's looking for and
get a clean boot?

thanks!!