[SunHELP] A Doubt - Help Pls

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 21 17:14:00 CST 2000

> Hi Admins,
>           <1> Suppose a SS5 has 2 disks can I have different OS versions
> residing on them and <2> can I boot from them depending on which version of OS I
> want?. Suppose default boot disk has Solaris 7 and other disk has Solaris
> 2.6 <3> will I be able to get Solaris 2.6 up from second disk?.
>
> <4> For this I think from OK prompt I should give boot and the disk identifier.
> <5> How exactly is this done. Pls help me in clarifying this doubt.
>
> Thanks,
> Balaji

<1> yes.
<2> yes.
<3> yes.
<4> yes.
<5> (Stop-A), boot /iommu/sbus/espdma at f,400000/esp at f,800000/sd at 3,0

     -Note that this example uses the device tree of a SS20, depending on your
          SS5 setup you may need to modify it.
     -Also note the @3,0 portion of the end of the line. The "3" is the SCSI Target
          ID of the hard-disk that you want to boot from (If you already have device
          aliases set up then you can just use the handy alias name for the appropriate
          device). This examples shows booting off of the disk with SCSI Target # 3
          connected to the internal SCSI controller. If you wanted to boot off of a drive
          on this internal controller but with a SCSI Target number of "2" then you would
          just replace the "3" with a "2".

    -Check out OpenBoot Prom FAQs and resources for more information on common
         (or complex) commands. i.e.- devalias, show-disks, boot, etc...

 -david