[SunHELP] Please help with HD installation

Steffen Grunewald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 19 10:25:37 CST 2000

Sorry, but I missed the original message, so I'm replying here.

On Tue 2000-12-19 (16:07), Fletcher, Joe wrote:
> What does probe-scsi have to say before you bring the machine back up? Are
> the drives being detected at hardware level correctly?

And the first posting must have been:

> This is how I install drives.  I bring the system down, turn it off and open
> the drive bay door.  Then I I insert the drive into the next allocated slot.
> This would be 0,1,2, (3).  Then I close the door and bring the system back
> up.  I then type "format" and look to see if the drive is there to be
> selected.  The drive doesn't appear.  I have even tried typing "drvconfig"
> to see if I can scan for the drive.

Did you 'boot -r' ? Even better, 'boot -rv'

> for the Target ID's of the drives, I mean doesn't Sun OS automatically
> assign scsi ID's to the drives?  I have never had to manually assign a
> target ID to a scsi device on a Sun box.

You mean SCAM? I'm not aware of Suns doing that.

I found out that even that whole bunch of drvconfig, disks, etc. won't
work exactly like boot -r. Unfortunately. Costs me uptimes :-)

Steffen
--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne