[SunHELP] FreeBSD PORTS collection for Solaris

Scanlan, Brian (5188) sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 14 08:23:01 CST 2000

Hi there,

A good package will have a list of dependancies -
Though this will only check if a other packages
are installed. A good package that depends on an
executable might look for it in the system $PATH if it's
likely that it wasn't installed by another package.

man -s 4 depend, man -s 4 compver.

If you want to not bother with having to satisfy dependancies
yourself, then stick with a consistent install method (say,
using pkg-add.sh to install only from sunfreeware.com), and
reading any needed documentation when you're installing a package -
Very often they'll list dependancies.

What you actually want by the sound of things is Debian's apt or the BSD
ports system - There's nothing like watching a package install process
that involves the automation of the download and compile process, but
satisfying dependancies is always impressive.

Brian.