[SunHELP] Solaris PC NetLink 1.2 Question

Andrea Lain sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 13 19:03:14 CST 2000

Hello,

Our company is running a small-size network comprised of approximately 20
client systems running Windows NT 4 Workstation, one Windows NT 4 Server for
domain authentication and email support, and one Solaris 2.6 system used to
share various files and folders over the network.

We would like to deploy PC NetLink 1.2 on our Solaris machine, but we have a
few questions before doing so...

1) Can we share files remotely using NetLink?  For example, the boss has a
Windows 2000 machine located in another city that he uses to connect to the
network with on occasion.  What will his limitations be on creating shares?

2) What support is offered for Oracle products?  We are running Oracle
Client Database version 8i on a few client systems at the office.  Currently
we are using Net8 as the distributed file system - are there other options
or support offered by NetLink for this?

3) We would like to combine the functionality of Samba, NFS, and WINS onto
the Solaris machine running NetLink which are currently distributed between
the NT Server and the Solaris machine.  Do these services still need to run
individually or does NetLink offer a solution that "packages" these
functions together?

Any advice on this subject will be appreciated!  =)  Thank you.

Andrea Lain
alain at dsra.com
Decision Sciences