[SunHELP] MRTG and Sun's snmpd

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 13 12:29:40 CST 2000

> Which snmpd are you using?  We are looking at the UC Davis snmpd.  It is
> supposed to be more full-featured than the Sun one.

i use the ucd-snmp agent on FreeBSD and NetBSD without problem, however, on my
SPARC machine running Solaris 8, if i run the ucd-snmp agent i run into the
following issue.

if i ^C out of an snmpwalk of the MIB tree, the ucd-snmp agent crashes.  i then
have to restart it.  the SUN supplied snmp agent doesn't crash in this same
setup.  i've tried this repeatedly, and i can reproduce it every time.  if
the SUN supplied snmp agent does what you need, then i recommend using it, if
it doesn't do what you need, you may want to consider running ucd-snmp from
sun's snmpx (Master SNMP Agent) to fill in the blanks.

just my 2 cents.

-brian