[SunHELP] (no subject)

Scanlan, Brian (5188) sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 12 19:08:08 CST 2000

Hi there,

I take it that you changed root's account shell to csh.

This is generally a bad idea. Not only did you mess up your
system, you run the risk of not being able to get into the system
should you be in the situation where you don't have boot media
and your shared librarys are inaccessable - /sbin/sh is a static binary,
meaning it depends on no other librarys to work. This is not the case
with /usr/bin/csh. You should leave root's shell alone, either create a
root2
account with csh as it's shell, or simply type "exec csh" when you login as
root. You are running the risk of getting into further hassle later.

Are there other users on the system that you can login as? You could
su to root then, and run a valid shell from there. Else, if you can ssh/rsh
in
as root (not enabled by default?), you could execute a valid shell by
specifying
it.

Else, you have to take the system down and boot off alternative media.

Why don't you want to power it off, it's only a workstation.

Hope this helps!
Brian.