[SunHELP] Another RAID Question

David Eisner sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 7 10:32:43 CST 2000

This is also an A1000 question.

I had a 4 disk RAID 5 lun lose a single disk, degrading
the lun.  The disks are 4.2 GB.  I just replaced the
bad drive with an 18GB drive, and it's currently reconstructing.

Here's the thing: we actually have 4 more of the 18 GB drives.
It would be nice if I could replace the three remaining 4.2 GB
drives with 18GB drives one at a time, and wind up with a
4 x 18GB RAID 5 lun (with about 3 x 18 = 54 GB of usable space).
Can this be done?

Otherwise, I'll delete the LUN, create a new LUN with 18GB disks,
and restore from backup.

Thanks.

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle at eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |