[SunHELP] Help on benchmarking

James Lockwood sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 6 17:27:41 CST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Rajesh vadde wrote:

> I would like to rung some bench marking tests to check the I/O performance
> on SUN E 4500 system. I would like to compare the results with the original
> production box. Any help regarding which tool to use will be greately
> appreciated. Tried with SUNvts, but it is only a diagnostic tool..

What do you want to measure?  Raw disk throughput, peak transfer rates
through the filesystem, synchronous transaction rates (such as those
induced when metadata is synchronously updated)?  What type of filesystem,
what block I/O size, what local caching?  Is RAID in the picture?

Ask yourself what you're really trying to determine.  There are several
tools available but you have to know which to use for your application.

-James