[SunHELP] Second IDE Drive on Solaris x86

Will Mc Donald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 6 02:53:46 CST 2000

I was wondering what sort of x86 motherboard it must be to only have one IDE
channel?!

Most boards that have onboard controllers have Primary and Secondary channel
(different physical connectors on the board), each capable of taking 2
devices, a Master and Slave. A device on either channel can be accessed at
the same time but not a Master and a Slave sharing a single channel.

Performance with 2 devices will be fine if they're on separate channels,
i.e. one Primary Master and one Secondary Master.

Will.